We all know that when you have a company, you also need a good logo to represent your business. After all, a well recognized logo design installs trust in your company's brand. New companies should know what to look for when shopping around for a quality logo because it will define your business for many years. Good or Bad.
A good quality logo is a process that should not be overlooked. Many new business owners who shop for a logo start by shopping by price. Though price is important, it's not advisable to make price your only factor.
Here are some key factors you should expect when having a professional logo designed:
- Most logo designers should start with basic research of their logo ideas. If they do not, they risk making a mistake by creating a logo that conflicts with another company's trademarked logo.
- A logo design should be a process of not just a single logo but a variety of logos you can choose from. Many business owners who are un-aware of this process purchase a single logo design because of it's cost, only to discover they do not like the logo that was developed.
- You should also ensure your logo can be trademarked. If you get denied a trademark, that means your logo is already infringing on a copyright.
- Make sure your logo is designed using a vector artwork program such as Adobe Illustrator. Logos should never be designed using Photoshop. Vector images can be resized to any size required.
- A logo should be simple in design but appealing to the eye. Too much detail or graphics can make your logo look distorted when small or viewed at a distance.
- Make sure you get 3 variations of your final logo:
- your full color logo
- 1 light color logo for dark backgrounds
- 1 dark color logo for light backgrounds
What Makes a Good Logo?
A really great article on logo design can be found at Smashing Magazine: vital tips for effective logo design.